Monday, January 23, 2012

Tips on What to do When a Class Doesn't Challenge You

Today, I went to a class called "The Total Body Workout." It was only $10 since it was my first time and it was a lot of fun. The strengthening portion of it was challenging, but the aerobics part of it didn't seem to do much.

A lot of my friends ask me how I have the courage to keep going to new things. Mostly they ask how it can be worth the money to keep going to new classes when I don't know if they will be worth it.
Answer: I make them worth it. And with this post, I'll tell you how. I

If you're already a seasoned group exerciser, this post may be a little bit repetitive for you. But if you're scared to go out and try them or you're afraid to waste your money by trying new things, this may be of use for you!

So you get to a class. Everyone there is older than you and less fit than you. You know all the moves and the class seems to be lagging. Here's what I do and some things you can try. Remember that I'm not a doctor and you should always speak to one before starting any sort of fitness program. Also, you should listen to your body. If something I put in here doesn't feel quite right, stop immediately and consider consulting a doctor!

Now that my disclaimer is done...

1. Cardio If you're doing an aerobics or dance class and you know all the moves, take them a step further. A step touch can be done with a tiny step or a huge step. The huge step will probably help you burn more calories and get your heart rate up faster. So, the message here: If it's all step-touch, high knees and punches, step wider, bring your knees higher and punch harder.

2. Resistance Training If you're doing a class with resistance bands, one easy way to make a class more challenging is to grab a tighter band. However, the class might only have one type of resistance band or you may have had to bring your own. Either way, you're stuck with the one you have. Don't despair! The shorter you make your resistance band, the more resistance you'll get. An alternative is to grab a second resistance band, if it's possible. Another alternative is to do whatever you're doing wider, thereby creating more resistance. But be careful with this one -- you don't want to pull a muscle. If at all possible, use the first two suggestions.

3. Dumbbells Usually, I'm the first in line to grab a set of dumbbells. Reason? I want more than one set. I grab a set I'm comfortable with and then I grab a set that is 1-2 pounds heavier. It's something I picked up from a lot of seasoned exercisers. You're setting yourself up to succeed before the exercise even begins. Start with your regular weight.  If you find that the strengthening exercises are too simple for you, grab the heavier pair and get to it. An alternative, if you're only allowed one pair (hasn't happened to me yet, but you never know), is to do the exercise slower and hold the positions longer. The slower you exercise, the more effort you're putting in. Since the exercises aren't difficult for you, pay close attention to make sure that you are executing perfect form. You'd be surprised how much more effective an exercise can be when you do it correctly.

4. Stretching/Yoga/Mat Work This one is pretty easy because there are usually multiple levels of difficulty in yoga and stretching. If you are reaching for your feet in a sitting position, straighten your knees more, flatten your back more, make the stretch deeper. But don't go beyond your limit because it's really easy to pull or even tear a muscle. In this portion of you wok out, it's not at all frowned upon to ask the instructor for a way to make the position more challenging. Normally, it won't take more than a few seconds to tell you how to challenge yourself a bit more.

I hope this helps those of you that are afraid to spend money on new group classes! If all else fails, keep a positive attitude and a smile on your face. You're still working out. One day of not working to your absolute full potential will not hurt you as much as you think. Plus, you can always go for a run afterwards, if you still feel cheated in some way. Perhaps in another post, I'll detail what makes group exercise so great and beneficial, but for now, this is it.

Let me know what you think! You guys have any extra tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment